9.11.18

002

Formulating a research question. Right now I am stuck in choosing or formulating a proper research question.

How can I create a wearable passport containing my double heritage or nationality?
How can I use the passport as a vehicle to tackle the questioning of identity/nationality?
How can I create a wearable to question the power relationship of my passport and my outer appearance?
How can I use the visual regime of the passport in order to clarify my own relationship regarding a double nationality?
How can I use the visual regime of the passport in order to question the power relationship of ownership and the individual?
How can I ... in order to question the power relationship of the passport and the individual, me?

My expected outcome of this project would be creating a textile piece of cloth containing my struggle or issue regarding my double nationality. Am I dutch? Am I taiwanese? Am I both?

For this project I am hugely inspired by Raf Simons, in particular the 2005 collection of Poltergeist.




What I find fascinating is how he uses graphical elements and applications on garments to create a story about himself relating to the world around us.

"Despite the runway being absent of the highly sought after graphics for this season, Simons looked to revisit his personal milestones in his past for the two part FW2005 collection. Raf’s display to his connection to music is undoubtedly the primer to his most compelling garments. FW05 was one of the last displays of such meaning, departing from such endeavors and focusing more so on modernist, sleek cuts inspired by euro subcultures. Graphics throughout this season were labeled with cryptic lyrics from The Cure, graphics inspired by the 1982 film “Poltergeist”, and even a few references to experimental musician John Cage. The hoodies, tees and sweaters were massive and overwhelming, patched with what looks like a collage of Raf’s personal visual displays, with the help of peter de potter, of his inspirations and nostalgia.

Just like the old days
Caressing an old man
And painting a lifeless face
Just a piece of new meat in a clean room
The soldiers close in under a yellow moon
All shadows and deliverance
Under a black flag
A hundred years of blood
Crimson"
Src All Shadows

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten